Texas Dentists for Medicaid Reform was originally formed to promote due process rights for Medicaid dentists because of allegations started in 2011 of large-scale Medicaid fraud in the orthodontic billings that affected many, many dentists. These allegations, now debunked, were used to hurt the reputations of many providers as well as create financial hardship and bankruptcy. It goes without saying that TDMR stands against fraud, waste or abuse within the Medicaid system and will report any we find. But due process is necessary for any provider so accused. That is a right guaranteed by our Constitution.
Today, TDMR is still concerned about due process rights for providers after making many gains with SB 1803 and SB 207 and the reform of the Health and Human Rights Commission Office of Inspector General. Our fight for these rights is documented chronologically in the articles on this website.
But we are now also concerned with problems that dental providers have with Medicaid such as credentialling and billing problems experienced with the dental managed care organizations brought into Texas in the wake of the above-mentioned scandal.
Our purposes are as follows:
- Be an organized effort to reform Medicaid.
- Provide advocacy for dental Medicaid providers and work with legislatures and health professional organizations such as TMA and TDA to bring forward legislation to balance the playing field for all Medicaid providers.
- Bring providers’ stories to the public.
- Take on a watchdog role to expose injustice within Medicaid.
- Provide news and updates about Medicaid reform.
Have an issue with Medicaid? Let us know by using our Medicaid Difficulty Alert form.